Sunday, March 20, 2011

Take My Life

I am blessed to worship with a large group of people, many of whom are very talented singers and since the tradition of our church is not to use musical instruments in our worship services I have the opportunity on a weekly basis to hear and participate in a-capella singing. And I am blessed to be under the worship leadership of man who is passionate about worshiping God in song and many other ways. On a very regular basis these three facts combine to make my worship experience a powerful and beautiful experience, despite the fact that I myself am not a great singer.

I have been a part of this tradition all of my life and have rarely missed a Sunday. I also seem to have a great memory for songs. I find myself singing all types of songs throughout my day - hymns, praise and worship, devotional, children's, etc. For almost every situation I find myself in, I can find a song to bring me comfort, joy, or peace. I can walk into most any church within my tradition and sing the songs they are singing without any problems and without a song book most of the time. And for the most part I can walk into most Protestant based churches and do the same. I consider this a huge blessing from God and I am extremely grateful for it.

However, I have found that there can be a downfall to this. And I suspect most long time Christians would be able to say they have this experience as well.

I don't pay attention to the words I am singing.

Okay, now that is not always the case and truthfully that is not the case the majority of the time. Songs that have me praise God for His power, His might, His holiness, His provision - those songs- old or new - I connect with deeply and truly pay attention to what I am saying to Him. Songs that are meant to edify others or connect me with others, those songs I connect to as well and pay attention to what I am saying.

But there are these other songs, songs that talk about what I want Christ to do in my life or what I am giving Him, those songs I really just go through the motions.

However today, the Spirit was at work and I had to stop and carefully look at the words to one of the songs led today.

Take my life and let it be consecrated Lord to Thee
Take my moments and my days let them flow in ceaseless praise.
(Do I want my life set aside for a sacred and holy purpose for God? If so am I willing to give up everything to make that happen? Do I give God the praise He deserves? In the good and the bad?)

Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of thy love
Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for thee.
(Will I serve anyone God puts in front me, expecting nothing in return, only out of my love for Him? And if I am willing to serve, will I do it in His time frame, reacting immediately to His calling?)

Take my voice and let me sing, only always for my King
Take my lips and let them filled with messages from thee.
(Are the words I use from God, about God or praising God? How do I make normal every day conversations become a praise to my King? I talk for a living and what I talk about is not evil in and of itself but is there a different message communicated to the people I talk to because of Christ?)

Take my silver and my gold, not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use ever power as thou shalt choose.
(Am I wiling to give away anything that God tells me to? If He looked at me and told me sell everything and give my money to the poor would I without bitterness, complaint or resentment? Or more importantly would I do it with joy, peace, happiness and contentment? Whatever knowledge or skills I have, do let Him use?)

Take my love my Lord I pour at thy feet its treasures store
Take my life and I will be ever only all for Thee.
(ever as in always? only as in He is the only one I will store my treasure with and give my love to? All as in all of it, everything?)

Lord,
Thank you for giving me the hard questions to answer and think about. Give me the courage to answer them honestly and where I need to change to become more like Christ, give me the courage to do that as well. Remove any fear, anxiety or shame I have in changing something about myself that allows me to sing these words with a pure, intentional heart.

No comments: