Sunday, July 10, 2011

He Loves Me

We are reading the book He Loves Me by Wayne Jacobsen in my small group on Sunday nights. There is lots of good stuff in the book but today, this quote really got me.

"In the long run it doesn't matter whether rebellion or religion keeps you from a vibrant relationship with the Father; the result is still the same. He is cheated out of the relationship he wants with you and you never come to know how He feels about you."

I had never considered this idea until right this minute but how very, very true. In spinning my wheels, trying to earn God's grace and favor, I never really enjoyed a relationship with Him that amounted to anything besides frustration, sadness and the feeling of never measuring up. And yet, watching people rebel it is pretty obvious that doing that is not going to get there either. So there must be another choice, right?

Yes, there is another choice - accepting grace and living in freedom!

Christ himself talks about this very specifically. John records the following (John 8:31-36)

"So Jesus said to the Jews who believed in him, "If you continue to obey my teaching, you are truly my followers. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." They answered, "We are Abraham's children, and we have never been anyone's slaves. So why do you say we will be free?" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, everyone who lives in sin is a slave to sin. A slave does not stay with a family forever, but a son belongs to the family forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be truly free..."
Doesn't it sound great to live in freedom, not have to rebel and not live by religious standards that are pretty much impossible to meet and still be right with God?
What does that life look like?
If I live that life would it change what I do day to day?
Would it change how I treat others?
Do I even want that life or am I too comfortable in my religious way of living that I am unwilling to change?


No comments: