Thursday, July 21, 2011

A prayer I can't get out of my head

A few days ago, I read the following prayer in a book by Brennan Manning called "Souveniers of Solitude". I cannot get this prayer out of my head. It has slowly become my daily prayer, something I have found myself praying more than once a day, actually.

"Lord, I am not free - but who wants to be? You're all that matters in my life.
I don't want to be free of my hunger for your bread.
I don't want to be free of my thirst for your word.
I don't want to be free of my desire for your will.
I don't want to be free of my longing for your presence.
I don't want to be free of my need to be taken up, taken over, joined to you.
Lord, may I never be free from wanting you."

God is doing amazing, great, powerful and awesome things in my life, my heart and my head. I am becoming a new creation in Him because of His grace and mercy. And through some amazing spritual friendship and guidance. As I pray this prayer, I find myself more and more humbled and longing for this to be truer every minutes of my day. And yet, Satan still sets traps for me and I fall into the easily. I will not live in guilt though when I do fall for his tricks because my God is more powerful than anything Satan will throw at me and His grace is more than enough.

No comments: