Thursday, December 29, 2011

"This" Feeling

You know that feeling that you have when things are good? You know what I am talking about, right? You are at peace, connecting with God, feel grounded in all that you are and all is good and right? That is where I am at right now and while I am beyond ecstatic with it, I want to know how to capture this feeling and hold it in my heart for later. I am not living in fear of “the other shoe dropping” as I have in the past. However, I know the reality is that at some point of time something will happen either internally or externally that will challenge this place and I will find myself in facing despair, hopelessness, anger, disappointment, bitterness, hurt, etc. And while I am ready and willing to step into those situations now, I want to do so with this peace, this connectedness, this groundedness – “this” feeling – rather than with fear or anxiety.



What thoughts do you have on this?

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I know the feeling! What I've been learning is that I have to be super-intentional and deliberate in putting God in my schedule. Then I have the routine and the relationship to carry me through the rough times. Daily prayer, daily study/practices, weekly times with friends for encouragement--all these things help keep me anchored (though I'm still getting the hang of it!).

Here are some book recommendations:
- Savoring God's Word--She talks about this very thing--anchoring yourself to God to withstand the storms of life.
- Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals --R and I have been doing this for about a year now. Liturgy is so far from our traditional CoC heritage, but in the repetition we hear God speak. (Scandalous, I know!)

Ginger said...

Thanks for the great advice, Val! I will add both of those to my "to read" list.