Tuesday, January 03, 2012

An Answer for "This" Feeling

I received an answer to my above post. It came in the form of many answers, really therefore this is a long post.


First to keep "this" feeling, I need to be very purposeful and deliberate about my time with God. What does that look like you might ask? Here is something pretty cool that I have learned recently - it can look like lots of things. I used to think that it meant I had to clear my schedule completely at the same time every day, do the same thing every time and it would be best if it looked like "so & so" (insert name of mentor/minister/elder/highly respected individual/etc here). But what I have found is that sometimes clearing away that specific time every day is impossible and when I didn't do it, I felt horribly guilty and if I missed it too often I was usually too ashamed to go back into that same routine and approach God about it. As far as doing the same thing every time...well, to be perfectly honest with you, my ADD sort of kept getting in the way of that. I find it quite boring and therefore quite ineffective to always have the same thing on tap every time I actually did sit down to "be with God." And I also found that what works for "so & so" doesn't actually work for me. So, what does "time with God" look like? For me it includes a variety of things:
  • Planned Scripture reading (following a specific plan/path)
  • Unplanned Scripture reading (just picking up the Bible to read whatever I want to)
  • Planned spiritual reading
  • Unplanned spiritual reading
  • Fasting
  • Journaling (lots of different kinds)
  • Praying
  • Meditation
  • Listening to sermons/lessons
  • Engaging in spiritual conversations (both in person and via email/texts/chatting)

Another step to keeping "this" feeling is to submit to Christ with no reservations. I have lots of good excuses for not doing this none of which are actually good. Basically, I tend to base my relationship with God on my experiences with humans and this is completely and totally unfair to a Father who has never done anything to let me down.

A third step in keeping "this" feeling is to allow "the cross to deal with (my) most deeply held desires." (Jeanne Guyon, Intimacy with Christ). There is great power in the cross that I leave untapped when I don't fully submit to Christ and am unwilling to suffer with Him. When I resist the call to step into the hard stuff - be it conversations, experiences, leadership or servant opportunities - because I am afraid of failure, disappointing someone or whatever, then I am not allowing the cross to do the work that is possible and necessary.

Number four would be just resting in Christ. I don't always have to be working, striving, or searching to be good with God. Resting in Him is good and necessary (thus He gave us the Sabbath). Resting in God does not make me lazy or unproductive.

The fifth and final answer that I heard on about keeping "this" feeling is probably more the first step but my answer was not given to me in that order. In Matthew 7:24, 25, Jesus tells his followers "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house upon the rock. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat on the house but it did not fall because it had been found on the rock." When I heard this, the relevance of it to me jumped out at me immediately - hear and practice the words of Christ. It sounds so simple but as I continued to listen I eventually came to the next logical question - what words? In this setting, Christ had just spoken what is now called "The Sermon on the Mount" (Matthew 5,6,7). Thankfully, these passages were summarized for me and here is what I heard that I need to practice (though this is not a comprehensive list of all that was given at the time):
  • Be compassionate
  • Practice self control
  • Desire right living
  • Show mercy
  • Exhibit purity
  • Willingly suffer
  • Get rid of anger
  • Take responsibility
  • Don't abuse sex
  • Work in marriage
  • Lay down your rights
  • Forgive completely
  • Pray inwardly
  • Give in secret
  • Value God's view of you
  • Don't worry
  • Stop judging
  • Be a seeker and learner
All these can really be summed by saying "Live the Jesus way." Doing this will provide me the foundation I need to weather the storms and still keep "this" feeling - peace, contentment, joy, happiness, and hope. This is wisdom at its core - to hear the words of Christ and do them. The flip side of that, which is where I have often lived is stupidity - to know the words of Christ and do the opposite.


And so, as we begin 2012 my goal, my resolution is keep "this" feeling. Regardless of my circumstances, I want to always know I am standing on a solid foundation and in all my circumstances - the good, the bad, the ugly, the pretty - I want to be a woman of peace, contentment, joy, happiness, hope and wisdom. If you have read this far, first let me say "Thank you." I am honored that you have given me some of your day and want to hear my ramblings. Second, I give you permission to to hold me to this. If you see me in circumstances where I am trying to build my house on the sand - in other words acting in stupidity - and I do not reflect peace, contentment, joy, happiness, hope and wisdom, please approach me and find out what is going on that I have lost my focus. Be gentle with me friend but be truthful with me.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

It's kind of funny--at first I looked at your list and thought, "Wow, that's a lot! I hope she doesn't get burned out!" but as I really reflected on it, it's what we *all* should be striving to do. I'm tired of church attendance being the sole basis of whether or not a person is considered "faithful". We need to push ourselves and to anchor ourselves to the rock. May God bless your efforts this year!

Ginger said...

I have to agree that my list seems overwhelming, unreachable, and impossible...at first. But the more I contemplate it, the less I feel overwhelmed by it because really, it is about making it a natural rhythm and flow of my life. One thing I find very comforting about my list is that my salvation is not based on whether or not I do or don't do any of it. To be with God, rest with God, hear and practice the words of Christ and allow the cross to deal with my desires will just bring me closer to God, make me more like Christ and will give me the life that He talks about in John 10:10 - life to the full. Those are the real goals.